Local Terminology (Annapolis Slang)
There are many local sayings and nicknames for different people, places and things in Annapolis. These are just a few examples. If you have any slang that you or those you know use, please add it below!
"Have I covered the waterfront?" - from Parole, meaning have I told you everything?
- Sea Nettle
- Jimmy (Large Male Crab)
- Soukie (Female Crab)
- Mano (Native American Word for a Soft-Shelled Clam)
- Fluke (A flatfish, like a Flounder)
- Bugeye (A type of Oyster Boat)
- Pungy (A type of Oyster Boat)
- Clorox Bottle (A modern sailboat that is too wide)
- Stinkpot (Powerboat)
- Rag Hauler (Sailboat)
- Mid/Squid (Midshipman)
- Johnny (Someone attending St. John's College)
- Crab Wrapper (A Local Newspaper)